- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper black fine grind org
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/8 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Cayenne Chili Pepper, Ground, Organic 1.70 oz.
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, plus more for coating
- 3 tablespoons minced scallion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons neutral flavored oil
- Fresh lettuce, for serving
- Tartar sauce, for serving
- Fresh lemon wedges, for serving
1. In a large bowl, place crabmeat and pick apart any large pieces. Add panko, scallions, parsley, pepper, salt and cayenne. Gently mix until well combined.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, mayonnaise and mustard. Pour into crab meat mixture and stir until just combined. Let sit for 20 minutes.
3. Form crab mixture into 8 patties, roughly the size of the palm of your hand. Carefully pat both sides into panko.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm olive oil. Add crab cakes, working in batches so the cakes aren't crowded. Cook for 4 minutes, until the side on pan is browned and crisp. Flip and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, until other side is crisp and crab cakes are heated through.
5. Serve hot with lettuce, lemon and a side of tartar sauce if desired.
For spicier crab cakes, use 1/4 teaspoon cayenne.
Take care not to overwork the crab mixture and be gentle when patting cakes into the panko. The cakes may be a bit delicate, but the minimal binding agents allow the crab to shine.