- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder Org Non-Alkalizd
- 1/4 cup Cane Sugar, Organic 5#
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Cinnamon Ground Viet ORG
- 1/8 to 1/16 teaspoons Red Pepper (Cayenne) grd org
- 2 teaspoons Organic Vanilla Extract 2oz.
- 2 13.5-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 5 ounces bittersweet or dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vodka
1. Place ice cream maker bowl in the freezer for at least 24 hours before making ice cream or per manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Prepare an ice bath with 2 large bowls that nest in one another and set aside.
3. Line a metal or glass 8x4 or 9x5 bread pan with parchment paper and set aside.
4. Into a medium-sized pot, scoop contents of coconut milk cans. *There will be both liquid and white solid, which is normal.
5. Place a few tablespoons of coconut liquid in a small bowl and whisk with the arrowroot starch until fully dissolved, then add to pot.
6. Add cocoa powder, syrup, sugar, chocolate, cinnamon and cayenne, then place pot over medium heat.
7. Lightly whisk every minute or so, helping to melt chocolate and keep mixture from burning.
8. Bring to a boil and whisk constantly while boiling for 1 1/2 minutes, then remove from heat.
9. Pour into ice bath and let sit until fully chilled. Stir occasionally for about 1 1/2 hours.
10. Once chill to the touch, pour into ice cream maker and turn on. Let churn for about 20 to 25 minutes or per manufacturer’s instructions. It should have the consistency of very thick soft-serve ice cream.
11. Scrape into parchment lined pan and spread evenly. Press another sheet of parchment directly on top of ice cream, covering the entire surface.12. Place in freezer for at least 4 hours before scooping. If you want a soft-serve texture, serve immediately. Otherwise, re-cover ice cream and chill in the freezer for about 5 1/2 hours before serving.
13. Store in the freezer for up to 2 to 3 weeks.
The vodka keeps the ice cream from developing an icy, rock-hard texture in the freezer. It can be left out but the ice cream will become much harder to scoop. Honey can be subbed for the brown rice syrup (however, not vegan) but do not sub maple syrup. Another vegan alternative is coconut nectar. Maple syrup is too thin and doesn’t freeze as well. The arrowroot starch also helps keep the ice cream nice and creamy in the freezer. Corn starch can be subbed if needed.
Do not sub any other milk for the full-fat coconut milk.
From this recipe
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Cocoa Powder (Non-Alkalized) Organic, Fair Trade 1 lb. SKU: 4456$16.50
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Cane Sugar, Organic 5 lbs. SKU: 2754$14.85
Frontier Co-op Frontier Organic Vanilla Extract 2 fl. oz. SKU: 23182$9.24
Frontier Co-op Frontier Organic Ground Vietnamese Cinnamon 1.31 oz. SKU: 19526$6.49
Frontier Co-op Frontier Organic Ground Cayenne Chili Pepper 1.70 oz. SKU: 18428$5.49