1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small saucepan over medium to medium-low heat, bring cream, vanilla extract and chai to a simmer for 3 to 5 minutes (do not allow to boil).
2. Meanwhile, mix sugars thoroughly and gently fold egg yolks into sugars.
3. While continuing to mix, strain the cream mixture through fine mesh or cheesecloth in a slow, steady stream.
4. Portion into ramekins and place them into a square casserole. Place the casserole in oven. Fill the casserole with hot water up to 1/4 inch under the rims of the ramekins (forming a water bath).
5. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until crèmes are firm and just slightly browned. Allow to cool.
6. Before serving, cover with a light coating of brown sugar, and caramelize this sugar under a broiler until liquid, brown and bubbling (professionals do this with a blowtorch). Watch carefully to ensure it doesn’t burn. Serve immediately.