BBQ Tofu Black Bean Cutlet
Total Time: 35 mins
Hands-on Time: 35 mins
Makes: 2 cups tofu pâté; 4 (6.3-oz.) or 8 (3.1-oz.) cutlets
This vegetarian black bean cutlet recipe created by Chef Ron Pickarski starts with a basic tofu pâté made extra-flavorful with savory Frontier Co-op seasonings, then joins with black beans, fresh cilantro and a few additional seasonings, transforming into a deliciously satisfying entrée you’ll keep coming back to. Recipe from The Classical Vegetarian Cookbook for Professional Chefs and Inspired Cooks ©2015 by Ron Pickarski. Used with Author and Publisher’s permission.
FOR THE BASIC TOFU PÂTÉ (GLUTEN-FREE):
2 pounds extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed to remove excess water
1/4 cup olive or canola oil
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic or 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Garlic Granules
2 tablespoons Frontier Co-op Nutritional Yeast
4 teaspoons Frontier Co-op Arrowroot (or cornstarch, optional)
1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Agar Agar Powder
1 pinch Frontier Co-op White Pepper
2 tablespoons white wine (optional)
FOR THE BLACK BEAN CUTLET:
2 cups tofu pâté
1/2 cup cooked black beans, drained and padded dry with paper towel
1 1/2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op Garlic Granules or Garlic Powder
4 teaspoons Frontier Co-op Onion Powder
1 tablespoon Frontier Co-op Salt and Pepper Prime Cuts
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup unbleached white flour (or rice flour for gluten free) + more for dredging
1 cup barbecue sauce of choice
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Into mixing bowl with tofu pâté, add black beans, garlic granules, onion powder, Prime Cuts, cilantro and the ¼ cup flour. Mix until evenly dispersed. Note: Beans will disintegrate if harshly mixed, so don’t mix aggressively. If using an electric mixer, use paddle and low speed.
- Divide into four or eight equal portions and form each into desired cutlet shape, about one-half-inch thick, then drench each in flour.
- In a medium, well-oiled pan preheated over medium heat, sauté for about 2 minutes on one side, or until golden brown. Flip and sauté for another 2 minutes or until golden brown and cutlet is firm.
- Glaze with barbecue sauce and serve with additional barbecue sauce.
To Make the Basic Tofu Pâté:
To Make the Black Bean Cutlet:
RECIPE NOTES FROM CHEF RON:
It is the combination of the agar agar powder and arrowroot or cornstarch that create the egg-like gelling effect in the pâté mixture.
I used Kinder’s Organic Mild BBQ Sauce to compliment the cutlets flavor.
I served this recipe with a Dijon Potato Salad (pg. 163 of The Classical Vegetarian Cookbook for Professional Chefs and Inspired Cooks). It would also go well with any potato and many pasta salad variations.
From this recipe
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Garlic Granules, Organic 2.68 oz. SKU: 18469$8.79
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Premium Nutritional Yeast Flakes 3.6 oz. SKU: 19590$9.09
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Arrowroot Powder 2.72 oz. SKU: 18301$7.19
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Agar Agar Powder 1 lb. SKU: 2200$83.20
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Organic White Peppercorns with Grinder 2.08 oz. SKU: 18268$7.59
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Garlic Powder, Organic 2.33 oz. SKU: 18351$8.79
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Onion Powder, White, Organic 2.10 oz. SKU: 18433$6.19
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Prime Cuts Salt & Pepper, Organic 4.09 oz. SKU: 18113$11.99
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Onion Powder, Organic 1 lb. SKU: 371$16.22