7 Frontier Co-op Organic Vanilla Beans
8 ounces plain vodka, minimum 70 proof
1. Prepare vanilla beans and place in jar just large enough to accommodate vodka and fully submerge beans.
2. Measure vodka and pour over beans.
3. Cover with lid and store for 8 weeks, shaking the jar every week or so.
4. Strain to clarify or leave beans in place and use extract.
1.For an especially potent extract, replace the vanilla beans with fresh beans after 8 weeks and allow them to macerate for an additional 8 weeks.
2. Substitute dark rum or brandy for the vodka to obtain an unusually flavored extract.
3. Substitute 1/2 cup fresh lemon or orange rinds, dried coconut flakes, skinless, chopped almonds, anise seed or peppermint or spearmint leaf for the vanilla beans to obtain any number of flavored extracts.
4. Doubling the amount of beans, chopping them finer and shaking the jar more often will speed up the process considerably