1. Boil the beets until just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and plunge in cold water. Slide the skins off the beets. Cut beets into 1/4- to 1/2 inch slices and pack in clean canning jars.
2. Place sugars, wine, vinegar, and salt in a pot. Place the cinnamon, allspice and cloves in a muslin teabag or a piece of cheesecloth and tie closed. Add to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring, about 8 minutes.
3. Pour the syrup over the beets, leaving 1/2 inch space at the top of the jars.
4. Cover jars and process for half an hour in boiling water bath.
5. Place cooled jars in a dark cupboard for about a month before opening.