Vegan Smoky Tahini Jackfruit Sandwich
Total Time: 0 hrs 25 mins
Hands-on Time: 0 hrs 25 mins
Makes: 6 small or 3 large sandwiches
For the Cabbage Slaw:
2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup grated carrot
1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Pickling Spice Blend
For the Smoky Jackfruit:
1/4 cup tamari
2 tablespoons tahini
1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/8 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Sea Salt
2 cans (14 ounces each) jackfruit in water, drained
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 head kale, chopped
6 small rolls, sliced
To Make the Cabbage Slaw:
1. In a large bowl, stir all slaw ingredients, except the salt, together. Season with sea salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
To Make the Smoky Jackfruit:
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat tamari, tahini, pure maple syrup, molasses, cider vinegar, liquid smoke, black pepper and sea salt, whisking occasionally, until mixture comes to a gentle boil.
2. Add jackfruit and continue cooking until much of the liquid has burned off and jackfruit is well-coated and hot.
To Make the Sandwiches:
1. In a skillet, add olive oil and sauté kale over medium heat for about 2 to 4 minutes, until wilted and soft.
2. Load desired amount of sautéed kale, smoky jackfruit, and cabbage slaw on the sandwich rolls. Serve and enjoy!
Use honey in place of pure maple syrup.
Use low-sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos in place of tamari.
Serve on a gluten-free bun or sandwich bread or turn these into lettuce wraps for a low-carb version.
Toast the bread if desired.