Cinnamon Vanilla Scones
This cinnamon scone recipe yields a delightful, slightly sweet pastry that pairs nicely with a cup of tea or coffee. These scones also freeze well and can be stashed away in your freezer for later eating.
Share with your friends
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Frontier Co-op® Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar divided
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op® Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op® Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op® Organic Korintje Cinnamon divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op® Organic® Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, sea salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture until small pea-sized pieces form.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, vanilla extract and heavy cream.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture and add egg mixture, combining into a shaggy dough and avoiding over-mixing. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and press dough into a rectangle, about 1 inch thick and 3 inches wide. Using a knife or bench scraper, cut into 8 squares or triangles.
- Place scones 1 to 2 inches apart on baking sheet and brush with heavy cream. Bake scones for 18 to 20 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons cane sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture and transfer to a rack to cool.