Garlic Fermented Hot Sauce
Total Time: 16-21 days; 0 hrs
Hands-on Time: 20 mins
Makes: 2-4 servings
1-pint canning jar with tight-fitting lid
4 tablespoons Frontier Co-op Grey Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Roasted Garlic Granules, optional
1. Into canning jar, add salt and just enough water to dissolve it with vigorous shaking.
2. Add chilies and optional garlic to the jar, packing tightly.
3. Add water to an inch below mouth of jar. We recommend adding weight over chilies to keep them submerged. (See Recipe Tips for suggestions.)
4. Close lid and leave at room temperature.
5. Every few days, open lid just enough to break the seal, then close again.
6. At some point, you will start to hear gases escaping when you open lid. Two weeks after you notice this, blend contents of jar in a blender for 30 seconds until no large chunks remain.
7. If you prefer a smoother hot sauce, strain sauce and discard solids.
8. Hot sauce is ready. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 year.
Food prep gloves will protect skin from the mix's spicy heat. This recipe also works well with other Frontier Co-op dried chili peppers.
For weighting down the peppers, try using a sturdy re-sealable bag filled with pie weights, marbles, or extra salt-water brine. Or try some Masontops Fermentation Weights.
For added tanginess, add lime juice to finished sauce if serving that day. Use cider or other vinegar if storing longer.