Classic Corned Beef
Total Time: 0 hrs 5 mins
Hands-on Time: 0 hrs 5 mins
Makes: 5 servings
A hearty, well-seasoned corned beef is the universally recognized centerpiece of many a St. Patrick's Day feast. By using Frontier Organic Pickling Spice blend, you'll be assured of a more interesting and varied depth of flavor, with nuances of tangy mustard, spicy cinnamon and savory celery and dill.
- 3 teaspoons Pickling Spice organic
- 1 corned (brined) beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds, see Note)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
1. In a large stock pot, combine the corned beef, pickling spice and vegetables. Cover ingredients with enough water to cover by 1 inch.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook until beef is tender, about 2 to 3 hours.
3. Remove the beef from the pot and place on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut beef against the grain into thin slices.
Note You can buy your brisket pre-brined or complete this process yourself using a trusted recipe (if you choose to brine it yourself, plan for the process to take several days). Many pre-brined briskets come with a seasoning packet. For this recipe, leave out the seasoning packet and use Frontier Organic Pickling Spice blend instead.