Iced Lemongrass Jasmine Tea
Total Time: 0 hrs 25 mins
Hands-on Time: 0 hrs 25 mins
Makes: 4 servings
Prepare the Lemongrass-Vanilla Simple Syrup
1. Slice the lemongrass stalks into 3-inch lengths. Remove and discard the tough root and any fibrous outer layers. Pulse lemongrass in a mini food processor (or finely chop) and place in a saucepan with the 1 1/2 cups water. Cover and bring to a full boil. Remove from heat and allow lemongrass to steep 1 hour.
2. Strain the liquid into a bowl or glass and discard the lemongrass. Return the liquid to the saucepan and add the vanilla bean scrapings and sugar. Heat until the sugar dissolves and the edges begin to simmer. By this point, the liquid should be clear (not cloudy). Remove saucepan from heat and allow simple syrup to cool. Transfer to a sealable container and refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the Jasmine Tea
1. Bring the 5 cups of water to a full boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat and allow water to cool to 180 degrees F. Add the jasmine green tea and allow it to steep 3 to 5 minutes, until tea reaches desired strength. Strain tea into a large jar or pitcher and discard the jasmine tea. Allow tea to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Make the Iced Tea
1. Fill a shaker half-way with ice. Pour 1 cup of chilled jasmine green tea, 1/2 cup of lychee juice, and 1 ounce of the simple syrup in the shaker. Secure the lid and shake well. Pour into a tall ice-filled glass. Repeat process to make additional servings.
• To prepare this recipe in parts, the simple syrup can be prepared up to 1 week in advance, and the jasmine tea can be made up to 3 days in advance.
• Try any quality tropical 100% juice if you have a difficult time finding pure lychee juice.
• You will end up with more simple syrup than you need for this recipe. Use simple syrup for other cocktails or mocktails, or simply repeat this iced tea recipe until all simple syrup is used.