FOR PEANUT SAUCE:
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Crushed Red Pepper
2 dozen medium shrimp, shelled, deveined, and tails removed
Olive oil, for brushing
1/4 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Garlic Powder
FOR SPRING ROLLS:
2 medium carrots
1 large red bell pepper
1 medium cucumber
1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint
1/2 cup loosely packed basil
8 lettuce leaves
4 ounces cooked rice noodles (vermicelli noodles)
8 rice wrappers (spring roll wrappers)
1. Combine peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic clove, minced ginger, honey and red chili flakes in a large bowl. Stir until well combined and set aside.
2. Heat a grill pan or regular pan over medium-low heat. Prepare the shrimp, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder. Add to the pan and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until the shrimp appears pink.
3. Meanwhile, prepare ingredients for the spring rolls. Cut the carrots, peppers and cucumbers into matchsticks and loosely tear the cilantro, mint and basil. Lay out the lettuce, noodles and wrappers. Place hot water in a container large enough to hold the wrapper.
4. Soak the rice paper for 10 to 15 seconds, just long enough for it to soften. Transfer to a cutting board and add one piece of lettuce, 1/3 cup rice noodles, a few cucumbers, peppers and carrots. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and start to roll.
5. Fold the rice paper over the ingredients and tuck ends. Lay three shrimp on the rice paper and continue to tuck and roll. Repeat with remaining wrappers and ingredients.
6. Serve with a sprinkle of herbs and the peanut sauce for dipping.
Rolling can be a bit of a challenge at first but after a few, it becomes easier. You got this!