Smoky Chili con Carne
Total Time: 0 hrs 20 mins
Hands-on Time: 0 hrs 20 mins
Makes: 3-4 servings
- 3 teaspoons Veg Broth Powder No Beef
- 1 teaspoon Paprika, Smoked Ground
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder Organic
- 2 teaspoons Oregano leaf c/s organic
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seed ground organic
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seed ground organic
- 1 pinch Red Pepper (Cayenne) grd org
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, minced
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound stew beef, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup ale or water
- 2 cups tomatoes, crushed
1. In a stockpot over medium-low heat, heat olive oil. Add minced red onion, pepper and jalapeño. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until onions are translucent and fragrant. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
2. Add beef and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, until meat is browning.
3. In a small bowl, combine ale or water and beef broth. Whisk.
4. Pour liquid into pot, then add tomatoes and spices. Stir until well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 60 to 90 minutes. Taste and add additional spices if desired.
The strong ale taste will cook out as the chili cooks longer, so don't skimp on the cooking time. Water can be used in place of ale. If chili is too thick at the end of cooking, add 1/2 to 1 cup of water to thin.
From this recipe
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op No-Beef Broth Powder 1 lb. SKU: 2009$7.70
Frontier Co-op Frontier Smoked Ground Paprika 1.87 oz. SKU: 19523$4.97
Frontier Co-op Frontier Organic Ground Cumin Seed 1.76 oz. SKU: 18477$4.71
Frontier Co-op Frontier Organic Ground Coriander Seed 1.66 oz. SKU: 18463$5.69
Frontier Co-op Frontier Organic Ground Cayenne Chili Pepper 1.70 oz. SKU: 18428$5.49
Frontier Co-op Frontier Organic Cut & Sifted Oregano 0.36 oz. SKU: 18377$3.48
Frontier Co-op Frontier Organic Chili Powder 1.94 oz. SKU: 18361$3.48