1 pint-and-a-half wide-mouth canning jar with tight-fitting lid
2 tablespoons Frontier Co-op Sel Gris
3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and bruised
8 whole Frontier Co-op Black Peppercorns
7 pickling cucumbers, ends removed, cut lengthwise into quarters no more than 5 inches long
1. Add salt to jar with 4 ounces water, and agitate until dissolved.
2. Add garlic and spices to jar.
3. Add as many cucumber spears as possible to jar, packing them in tightly, ensuring that they are as far down in jar as possible, snug and not bobbing around.
4. Add water until cucumbers are covered.
5. Close lid just until you meet resistance. Leave at room temperature.
6. Once a day for first 2 to 3 days, open lid just enough to break seal, then close it again.
7. The pickles are ready after 4 days. Eat or refrigerate. Consider drinking the brine too!