Chipotle Corn Squash Chowder
Total Time: 50 mins
Hands-on Time: 30 mins
Makes: 6-8 servings
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped leek
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup Frontier Co-op No-Chicken Broth Powder
3 cups water
3 cups cooked butternut squash
2 cups milk
2 cups corn kernels
1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Ground Coriander Seed
1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Ground Cumin Seed
1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Chipotle Pepper
1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Smoked Sea Salt
Juice of half of a lime
FOR THE GARNISH (optional):
Fresh cilantro or parsley
Grated cheddar cheese or sour cream
- In a soup pot, sauté carrots and leeks in olive oil until almost tender.
- Add broth powder, water and squash. Stir together and cook for 5 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and process to desired consistency.
- Return mixture to pot; stir in milk and corn. Cook on low heat, stirring often to prevent burning. Add more milk or broth if a thinner soup is desired. Once hot, simmer for 10 minutes to meld flavors.
- Add coriander seed, cumin seed, chipotle and smoked salt. Simmer for another 5 minutes, then stir in lime juice. Season with more chipotle or salt if desired.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley. Serve immediately as is or with grated cheddar or yogurt on the side.
Also good with corn chips or cornbread.
To make Curried Squash and Corn Chowder, replace milk with coconut milk and spices with 2 teaspoons curry powder.
From this recipe
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op No-Chicken Broth Powder, Organic 1 lb. SKU: 2869$19.26
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Organic Ground Coriander Seed 1.66 oz. SKU: 18463$5.69
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Cumin Seed, Ground, Organic 1.76 oz. SKU: 18477$6.69
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Chipotle Pepper, Ground 2.15 oz. SKU: 19525$6.19
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Alder Smoked Salt Grinder 3.17 oz. SKU: 19513$6.79
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Alder Smoked Salt, Coarse Grind 1 lb. SKU: 4418$19.78