Brown Rice Pasta with Golden Paste-Cashew Sauce and Cherry Tomatoes
Total Time: 1 hrs 15 mins
Hands-on Time: 25 mins
Makes: 2 servings
1/3 cup cashews
3/4 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Organic Black Pepper
1/4 cup sunflower or other neutral oil
Zest from one lemon
4 ounces brown rice pasta
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Sea Salt
Fresh basil, for topping
Additional ground black pepper, for topping
- Soak cashews in cool water for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the turmeric paste: In a food processor or blender, place onion and garlic, and pulse until combined and minced further. Add black pepper, turmeric, oil, water and lemon zest, and puree until mostly smooth. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, reserving pasta water, and set both aside.
- When soaking time is up, make cashew cream: Drain cashews, reserving ⅓ cup of water. In a clean blender, puree until smooth.
- Heat a 10-inch pan over medium heat. Add cherry tomatoes and cook until tomatoes soften slightly. Remove tomatoes from pan and set aside. Return pan to heat and add olive oil, salt and ¼ cup turmeric paste. Cook over low heat until warmed. Stir in cashew cream and cook for one minute more.
- Stir in pasta and toss to coat. If sauce is too thick, add ¼ to ½ cup pasta water, starting with a small amount and increasing gradually as needed to coat pasta. Taste and add more salt, if desired.
- Divide pasta onto two plates and top with cherry tomatoes, basil and fresh black pepper.
Salt is left out of the turmeric paste mix, allowing you to adjust the salt level of each individual dish. Be sure to taste and add more as needed.
The turmeric paste will make more than the recipe requires. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, and use as a base for soups.
Make this pasta throughout the year by swapping out tomatoes for roasted cauliflower, grilled asparagus or roasted squash.