Challah with Cardamom and Honey
Total Time: 2 hrs 20–40 mins
Hands-on Time: 35 mins
Makes: 1 loaf
1 cup lukewarm water
3 tablespoons honey
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) active dry yeast
4 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Sea Salt
2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op Cardamom
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, divided
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons Frontier Co-op Sesame Seed
- In bowl of stand mixer* fitted with dough hook, combine water, honey and yeast. Let sit for five minutes until yeast begins to foam.
- Stir in melted butter, egg, salt, cardamom, all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour.
- Turn mixer on and let dough start to knead. Add whole wheat flour 2 tablespoons at a time, letting flour incorporate well, until dough begins to pull away from side of mixer. Mix for 5 more minutes until dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Remove dough and place in a well-oiled bowl; cover and set in a warm place to rise. Let rise for about one hour until dough has doubled in size.
- After first rise, remove dough from bowl and divide into three pieces (for an easy braided loaf) or six pieces (for a complex braided loaf). Using your hands, roll each ball into a strand approximately 16 inches long. Pinch together one side of the ends and braid. Pinch together other ends and place on a sheet tray covered with parchment paper. Cover and let rise again for 45 to 60 minutes, until the loaf is again doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together egg yolk and heavy cream. Brush loaf with egg mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool before slicing.
*If you don’t have a dough hook or prefer to mix by hand, stir with a durable wooden spoon until dough forms and pulls away from sides of bowl. With your hands, knead dough, adding flour as dough sticks to your hands. Continue until dough is elastic and is no longer sticky. Be careful to not add too much flour, the dough should be soft and easily kneaded.