Blackened Catfish Sandwich with Spicy Asian Slaw
Total Time: 1 hrs 15 mins
Hands-on Time: 0 hrs 45 mins
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 teaspoons Frontier Co-op Seafood Seasoning, Blackened, Organic 2.50 oz.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Red Chili Peppers, Crushed 15,000 HU 1.20 oz.
- 2 teaspoons Sesame Seed Black Organic
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and shredded
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small head purple cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 hamburger buns or rolls
- 4 catfish fillets (1/2 pound each)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
To make slaw
1. Place the apples, cabbage, red onion and carrots in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, soy sauce, cider vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar and, if desired, red pepper flakes.
3. Pour dressing over the slaw and stir to combine. Mix in toasted sesame seeds.
4. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
To make the spicy mayo
1. In a bowl, stir together the Sriracha and mayonnaise until combined. If you desire more spice, add more Sriracha.
To grill catfish
1. Preheat your grill. Read wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid instant-light briquettes as they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for medium-high heat — if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 375 degrees.
2. Rub the fillets with olive oil, using about a tablespoon total.
3. Rub each fillet with 1 tablespoon of Seafood Seasoning.
4. Place each fillet on the grill, cooking for approximately 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove from the grill.
To assemble the sandwiches
1. Briefly toast the top and bottom hamburger bun or roll halves on the grill, just enough for them to turn golden brown.
2. Smear the spicy mayonnaise on both the bottom and top halves of the buns.
3. Place one piece of catfish on the bottom half of each bun. Top with a heaping pile of slaw, and cover with top half of bun.
4. Serve with additional slaw on the side.