Gingerbread Lattice Cookies
In this special gingerbread cookie recipe, you create beautiful lattice-work cookies from interlaced strips of dough, then use cookie cutters to make them into your favorite shapes.
Share with your friends
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op® Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op® Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op® Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op® Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon Frontier Co-op® Ground Ginger Root
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op® Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op® Ground Nutmeg
- In a mixing bowl, using a hand or stand mixer, beat together butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, molasses and vanilla and continue mixing until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg, stirring to combine.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture and beat on medium-low to medium speed until dough comes together and appears slightly shiny.
- Divide dough equally into four sections and shape each into balls. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Once chilled, on a piece of parchment paper, roll out each ball of dough into a 12-x-12-inch square, one-quarter-inch thick. Make cuts in each square to form one-quarter-inch wide slices.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and cover two baking trays with parchment paper.
- With one square, fold back every other strip onto itself so that half the strips are folded at the center of the square, being careful to not to create a crease. Using strips from another square, lay one strip across the unfolded strips of the first square.
- Gently lay the folded strips back over the strip you just laid down. Lift up the alternating strips and repeat the process. Continue to the end of the square, creating a lattice pattern in that half.
- Turn the square 180 degrees and, working from the middle again, repeat the process with remaining strips. Then repeat with the remaining two squares of dough.
- Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out cookies and transfer them to a parchment-lined sheet tray.
- Re-shape remaining dough scraps into two small squares. Repeat steps of creating lattice until you run out of dough.
- Bake cookies for 12 to 14 minutes until firm to the touch and browning on the bottom. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool before serving.