2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Frontier Co-op® Organic, Fair Trade Cane Sugar, divided
2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op® Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op® Sea Salt
1 1/2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op® Organic Korintje Cinnamon, divided
1 large egg
2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op Organic® Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream, plus more for brushing
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, sea salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture until small pea-sized pieces form.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, vanilla extract and heavy cream.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture and add egg mixture, combining into a shaggy dough and avoiding over-mixing. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and press dough into a rectangle, about 1 inch thick and 3 inches wide. Using a knife or bench scraper, cut into 8 squares or triangles.
- Place scones 1 to 2 inches apart on baking sheet and brush with heavy cream. Bake scones for 18 to 20 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons cane sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture and transfer to a rack to cool.
From this recipe
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Korintje Cinnamon, Ground, Organic 1.90 oz. SKU: 18434$6.69
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Cane Sugar, Organic, Fair Trade Certified™ 5 lbs. SKU: 2950$28.10
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Baking Powder (no added aluminum) 5 lbs. SKU: 2313$39.94
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Sea Salt, Table Grind 5 lb. SKU: 193$13.84
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Vanilla Extract, Organic 4 fl. oz. SKU: 23183$22.99