Mini Pear Galettes with Ginger
Total Time: 2 hrs 30 mins
Hands-on Time: 0 hrs 35 mins
Makes: 4 servings
For the Pastry Dough:
2 cups white whole-wheat flour, plus more for rolling
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar, divided, plus a few pinches for sprinkling
1 1/4 teaspoons Frontier Co-op Organic Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Organic Ground Ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest, freshly ground
1/2 teaspoon + a pinch Frontier Co-op Sea Salt
3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
2/3 cup light cream cheese, cut into pieces
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons milk
For the Pear Filling and Finish:
1 pound red pears, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1 pound green pears, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
1 tablespoon molasses
A few pinches Frontier Co-op Organic Ground Nutmeg
To Make the Pastry Dough:
1. In a food processor, combine flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 tablespoon ginger, lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Pulse until well mixed. Add butter and cream cheese and pulse until a coarse meal forms. Add oil and pulse until well blended. Add milk and pulse until small clumps form.
2. Transfer dough to a sheet of parchment paper and press into a ball, then press ball into a disk about 8 inches wide. Wrap in the parchment and refrigerate for at least 1 hour but no more than 1 day before rolling out.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Dust dough and 4 new sheets of parchment paper with flour. Cut dough disk into quarters. Round and slowly roll out dough into four individual circles, dusting with additional flour as needed and pressing pieces together if it cracks.
5. Transfer parchment with pastries to two baking sheets.
To Make the Pears:
1. In a large mixing bowl, toss red and green pears, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, molasses, the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and pinch of salt.
1. On each dough circle, overlap pear slices in a concentric circle alternating between red and green pears, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Drizzle any syrup remaining in bowl over fruit.
2. Using the parchment, lift edges of pastry and fold loosely over filling in 2- or 3-inch sections. It is fine if it cracks as you fold it.
3. Sprinkle sugar and nutmeg on top of each galette. Trim off any dough that overhangs parchment. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.
4. In a small saucepan, heat remaining 1 tablespoon maple syrup, stirring until a thin glaze forms. Using a pastry brush, brush syrup glaze over warm fruit on each galette.
5. Let cool on baking sheet for at least 15 minutes .Lift parchment and galettes onto a platter and slide parchment out. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.