4 cups water
1 cup dried cherries, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (do not use vegetable-oil-treated cherries)
1 tablespoon Frontier Co-op Wild Cherry Bark
1/4 cup Frontier Co-op Hibiscus Flowers
2 cups Frontier Co-op Organic, Fair Trade Cane Sugar
- Place water in pan and add dried cherries and wild cherry bark.
- Bring pot to boil, reduce to simmer, cover and let simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat, add hibiscus flowers and sugar and stir until dissolved. Cover and let steep until cool, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Strain liquid through a fine mesh sieve, then through one or more coffee filters into a clean, sterile jar.
- To mix ale, use a 1:6 ratio of concentrate to sparkling water. Adjust ratio for more or less sweetness according to your personal dietary preferences and desired taste.
To make the concentrate:
To make the hibiscus wild cherry ale:
For an even prettier presentation, garnish drink with whole frozen, pitted cherries.
Store concentrated extract in refrigerator for up to three months.