Fresh-Pack Dill Pickles
Total Time: 70 minutes prep + overnight soaking hrs
Hands-on Time: 45 mins
Makes: 7 Quarts
17 to 18 pounds cucumbers, 3 to 5 inches in length (approx. 35 medium cucumbers)
2 gallons 5 percent brine (3/4 cup salt per gallon water)
6 cups vinegar
3/4 cup sea salt
9 cups water
2 tablespoons Frontier Co-op Pickling Spice
2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op Whole Yellow Mustard Seed
1/2 garlic clove
1 tablespoon Frontier Co-op Whole Dill Seed
1. Wash cucumbers thoroughly, scrub with vegetable brush, and drain.
2. Cover with brine. Let set overnight. Drain.
3. Combine vinegar, salt, water, and pickling spices. (Tie spices in a clean, white cloth bag or spice ball.)
4. Heat to boiling. Pack cucumbers in hot, sterilized quart jars.
5. Add mustard seed, garlic cloves, and dill seed to each jar.
6. Cover with boiling liquid to within 1/4 inch of top of jar. Adjust seals and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.