Fresh-Pack Dill Pickles
Total Time: 70 minutes prep + overnight soaking hrs
Hands-on Time: 45 mins
Makes: 7 Quarts
FOR BRINING THE CUCUMBERS:
For the overnight brine:
17 to 18 pounds cucumbers, 3 to 5 inches in length (approx. 35 medium cucumbers)
2 gallons 5 percent brine (3/4 cup salt per gallon water)
For the fresh-pack liquid:
6 cups vinegar
3/4 cup sea salt
9 cups water
2 tablespoons Frontier Co-op Pickling Spice
FOR PACKING EACH JAR:
2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op Whole Yellow Mustard Seed, per jar
1/2 garlic clove, per jar
1 tablespoon Frontier Co-op Whole Dill Seed, per jar
1. Wash cucumbers thoroughly, scrub with vegetable brush, and drain.
2. Cover with brine water. Let set overnight. Drain.
3. Combine vinegar, salt, 9 cups water, and pickling spices. (Tie spices in a clean, white cloth bag or spice ball.) Heat to boiling.
4. Meanwhile, pack cucumbers in hot, sterilized quart jars.
5. To each jar, add mustard seed, garlic cloves and dill seed
6. Cover pickles with boiling liquid to within 1/4 inch of top of jar. Adjust seals and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
From this recipe
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Pickling Spice, Organic 1 lb. SKU: 2901$20.26
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Dill Seed, Whole, Organic 1 lb. SKU: 2699$16.54
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Yellow Mustard Seed, Whole 1 lb. SKU: 164$8.54
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Sea Salt, Coarse 5 lbs. SKU: 333$15.92