The Many Cosmetic Uses of Matcha
What is Matcha?
Matcha is high-quality green tea that’s been ground to a fine powder. It is traditionally prepared by whisking the powder with hot water in a small bowl until frothy. The word ‘matcha’ comes from the Japanese language, where ‘ma’ means ground or rubbed, and ‘cha’ means tea.
Fun Fact: all true tea (as opposed to herbal tisanes) comes from the same plant — Camellia sinensis. It’s how the tea leaves are processed that determines whether the final product is green, black, white, oolong or pu-erh tea.
Frontier Bulk Frontier Co-op Japanese Matcha Green Tea Powder, Organic 1 lb. SKU: 4889$92.78
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Citrus Matcha Green Tea, Organic 1 lb. SKU: 1017$83.20
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Sweet Matcha Green Tea, Organic 1 lb. SKU: 1016$41.60
Frontier Bulk Frontier Co-op Genmaicha Matcha Tea, Organic 1 lb SKU: 2985$68.64
Creative Ways to Use Matcha
The easiest way to prepare matcha is to make a tea with it: add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of matcha powder to a heat-safe bowl or mug and pour 2 ounces of hot water (let boiling water sit for 2 to 3 minutes first) over the powder. Whisk the mixture in a ‘W’-shaped or zig-zag motion until the powder is fully dissolved and the mixture is frothy. Pour in an additional 6 ounces of hot water or warm milk (almond, coconut or oat milk are great choices) and whisk again until frothy. Optional: sweeten with a little honey, sugar or maple syrup. Matcha powder (¼ to 1 teaspoon) can also be added to your favorite smoothie recipe.
Here are a few of our favorite topical recipes that feature matcha powder:
Matcha Facial Toner
1 ounce boiled water
1 ounce witch hazel extract
2-ounce Aura Cacia Amber Mist Bottle
- Place matcha powder in a small, heat-safe bowl and pour the boiled water over powder.
- Whisk powder and water until fully dissolved.
- Allow tea to cool slightly, then carefully pour into the amber mist bottle (we recommend using a funnel).
- Pour witch hazel extract into the mist bottle.
- Add 12 drops of Frankincense in Jojoba to the mist bottle. Shake well to mix.
Shake well to fully mix prior to each application. Apply 1 to 2 times daily to clean, damp skin. Follow with your favorite skin serum.
Shop the Recipe
Matcha Face Mask
1½ tablespoons Frontier Co-op French Green Clay Powder
2 tablespoons Aura Cacia Jojoba Oil
- Combine French green clay, matcha powder, jojoba, sandalwood and sweet orange oils in a small bowl.
- Mix until fully combined and a paste-like consistency is formed.
- Apply a thin layer on your face, avoiding the area directly around the eyes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water and gently pat your skin dry. Follow up with your favorite skin serum.
- Repeat 1 to 2 times per week.
Shop the Recipe
Matcha Sugar Scrub
1¼ cups Frontier Co-op Cane Sugar
12 drops Aura Cacia Bergamot Essential Oil
6 drops Aura Cacia Vanilla in Jojoba Oil
- Combine matcha powder and sugar in a small bowl.
- Slowly stir in fractionated coconut oil until fully mixed.
- Add bergamot and vanilla oils and stir.
- Transfer mixture to a sealable jar, and use 2 to 3 times per week in the shower or bath.