New Orleans SnoBall Cocktail
Total Time: 0 hrs 0 mins
Hands-on Time: 0 hrs 0 mins
Like the New Orleans SnoBall, a confection made with finely shaved, fluffy ice rather than the course, crunchy ice characteristic of a snow cone, this cocktail has a base and a “floater" and maintains its rich flavor all the way through. The spicy dark rum and condensed coffee with the cinnamon and vanilla simple syrup play a decadent role against the creamy, sweet coconut milk. You can serve it mixed or layered. Either way it's a delicious finale to a beautiful dinner or a fun, festive drink for a party.
For the cocktail base and topper
1. Refrigerate coconut milk for at least 15 minutes while assembling the remaining ingredients.
2. Into a shaker, pour 1 1/2-ounces simple syrup, condensed coffee and spiced rum. Gently shake to mix.
3. Into a medium bowl, slowly pour the chilled coconut milk, being careful not to pour out the water, which will have separated from the milk during the cooling process.
4. Add coconut extract, vanilla extract and cane sugar. Whisk until the mixture is well combined and slightly thicker.
5. Fill glass with shaved ice. Pour the cocktail ingredients into the middle of the glass slowly until half full. Top with coconut mixture and simple syrup. Garnish with shaved dark chocolate.
For the simple syrup
1. In a small pot, combine sugar and water, bring to a boil and let simmer until sugar is dissolved.
2. Place 3 cinnamon sticks into mixture, add vanilla extract, cover and let sit overnight.
3. Store syrup in a tightly sealed container for up to 1 month.