Hot Mulled Cider
Total Time: 30 mins
Hands-on Time: 15 mins
Makes: 4 servings
There is nothing that says "it's fall" better than the cinnamony scent of mulled cider simmering on the stovetop. The star of this recipe is Frontier Cinnamon Sticks — with cloves, nutmeg, honey and the citrusy touch of lemon and orange peels. This cider makes a wonderfully warming beverage on a brisk fall day.
2 lemon peels, in large strips*
2 orange peels, in large strips*
24 Frontier Co-op Cloves
1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Ground Nutmeg
6 Frontier Co-op Cinnamon Sticks
1 1/4 cups honey
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups lemon juice, heated
2 quarts good-quality apple cider
1. In large saucepan, combine the lemon peels, orange peels, cloves, nutmeg and 2 cinnamon sticks with the honey (or sugar) and water.
2. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Especially when using sugar, stir well to ensure all the sugar dissolves.
3. Reduce heat and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and strain through a fine strainer or several layers of cheesecloth.
5. Place back over low heat and add the warm lemon juice and the cider. Heat until hot but not boiling over.
6. Divide into 4 mugs, add a cinnamon stick to each, and serve.
*Organic peels recommended, but either way, wash outside well