Vegetarian Pot Pie with Cracked Black Pepper Biscuit
Total Time: 0 hrs 20 mins
Hands-on Time: 0 hrs 20 mins
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Sage Leaf, Ground, Organic 0.80 oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon White Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op Black Pepper, Medium Grind, Organic, Fair Trade Certified™
- 2 cups Veg Broth, low sodium
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Co-op Rosemary Leaf, Whole, Organic 0.85 oz.
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash
- 4 carrots
- 2 small rutabagas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 shallots
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, optional
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup 2% or whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel and cut butternut squash, carrots and rutabaga into ¼-inch cubes. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and spread onto a baking tray in a single layer. Roast until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
2. In a large pot or skillet with deep sides, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter over medium-low heat. Mince shallot, add to pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. To the shallots, add the white wine, rosemary, sage, sea salt and white pepper, along with the roasted vegetables. Stir and cook for 4 minutes.
4. Stir in peas and flour. Cook for 1 minute then add the vegetable broth. Continue to cook, stirring often, until the filling has thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Divide the filling into four oven-safe soup bowls, or pour into a 9x9-inch baking pan.
5. To make the biscuit topping, combine the flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a bowl. Add in olive oil and with your fingers, work the olive oil into the flour until the mixture looks crumbly. Pour in milk and add ½ cup shredded cheese. Stir until dough comes together. Divide dough into 4 pieces and pat into a ½-inch thick circle. Place biscuits on top of the filling and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Bake pot pies at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until biscuits are golden and the filling is bubbling. Serve while hot.
Note To make vegan, replace the butter in the filling with additional olive oil. Leave the cheese out of the biscuits, and sub in your favorite non-dairy milk for the 2% or whole milk.
From this recipe
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth Powder 1 lb. SKU: 2126$14.00
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Black Pepper, Medium Grind, Organic, Fair Trade Certified™ 1.80 oz. SKU: 19450$8.89
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Rosemary Leaf, Whole, Organic 0.85 oz. SKU: 18468$4.69
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Sage Leaf, Ground, Organic 0.80 oz. SKU: 18402$6.29
Frontier Co-op Frontier Organic White Peppercorns with Grinder 2.08 oz. SKU: 18268$7.59